Sunday, August 30, 2026

Meet Mat - The Search for the Mailman


 

 
    Texturing assignment based in the Meet Mat competitions that are held online. This was my first time rendering using IRay. My meet mat is a dog stuck in a mailbox (he was looking for the mailman).  I knew I wanted to change the base mesh in some way while maintaining the main silhouette of the original model. I played around with tentacles and food, but once the dog idea hit I got attached.
    
    My Painter workflow is pretty standard, using fill layers and masks to drive material attributes. I like to really mess around in my base color whenever I can to achieve a stylized, varied look. I use lots of position gradients and the 3D distance generator a lot.

Albedo pass in substance viewport. 
 
--- 
 
    I ended up using a lot of Substance Designer in this project. My first challenge was creating a rock texture that really captures the scattered garden rock aesthetic I was looking for. The base layer of pebbles is just a Voronoi noise warped with Perlin. Then I made a few bigger shapes with blurs and warps. 
 
Small Rocks
 
Big Rocks
 
    All combined with some extra noises layered on top.
 
 
 ---
 
         I knew I wanted a more stylized look for the piece. I usually sculpt details when I'm doing wood, but with the time constrain I wanted to see if I could get a nice stylized height map out of Designer. The common workflow for wood is to use a warp on anisotropic noise for the main grains. Applying that logic to larger shapes gave me a nice result. I basically made a really thick anisotropic pattern using a tile sampler. I then spent a while messing with various warp textures, blurs, and levels nodes to get a some thicker lines, which took out all of the midtones. I blended the original texture together with the resized one to reintroduce some height information.
 
 
Main grain height map
 
Substance viewport.

 
 
 
 

 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment