Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Yi - Unreal Engine NPR Rendering


     Without a doubt this is the most satisfied I've been with a piece. This was fan art I did after finishing Nine Sols (which blows Silksong out of the water). My goal was to create a completely unlit render that sold light and shadow, as well as acquaint myself with the post process workflow in unreal engine.

 


 

    Main shader demo. A vector is received from the main light in the scene, then using dot product and some smooth step nodes and addition, I created fake light and shadow, as well as a transition color. Main color is texture driven, shadow and transition colors are  calculated at runtime.

    
 
    The hat and veil are a mix of post process and unlit shaders. I'm using the stencil buffer to select what meshes do and do not appear behind the veil, then doing a depth test to color things within the veil mesh black while leaving the background grey. In game effect on the left
    

 Hi res images and further breakdowns are on my ArtStation.

No comments:

Post a Comment